First Sewing Machine!
Okay, so the real reason I wanted to start this blog was because it is my birthday this month, and I received my very own sewing machine!
It is literally the most excited I have been on my birthday in a long time... almost kid excited. I even managed to convince my mum that I could have it a week-and-a-half early because I wasn't seeing them on my birthday.
Yay!
It is a Singer Confidence 7465...
and fits perfectly into the purple, sewing machine trolley bag you can see behind it. Which is excellent for storage. I, admittedly, don't have much to store (yet) but what I do have fits perfectly into the 2 side pockets and large front pocket attached to the outside of the bag, and the 2 detachable pockets inside the bag as well as the small mesh zipped pocket in the lid. So, lots of storage!
The first thing I did was to read through the manual and see how to set it up.
I have used my mums sewing machine since I was 14 and doing GCSE Textiles, but this was a rather different set-up and I didn't want to break it, so I was good and read through the manual while learning how to thread it properly.
The one feature that I love so far is not having to pick up the stitch before you start, and there's an automatic needle threading function which I haven't needed to use yet (hand threading it is just ingrined in me after so many years of not having that function, I didn't even realise it could do that to begin with, I just threaded the needle) but I'm sure will come in handy some day.
Once I had it set up and ready to go, I sat down and started playing with each of the different stitches. It gave me a feel for how each one looked on the fabric, what the tension was like in the thread and how much pressure to put on the foot pedal for what speed.
The result is my Example Stitches Piece:
As you can see, there are some really pretty stitches available and I can't wait to use them on a design.
The pulling effect you can see is because I was playing around with the tension on different stitches to find the best setting, and I will definitely be doing that more, testing every setting so that I understand how to set the machine for best effect. I don't want to be practising on actual designs.
As a first piece, though, I am happy with the range of stitches available and the feel it when sewing, as well as the ease which it is threaded.
Frankie
It is literally the most excited I have been on my birthday in a long time... almost kid excited. I even managed to convince my mum that I could have it a week-and-a-half early because I wasn't seeing them on my birthday.
Yay!
It is a Singer Confidence 7465...
and fits perfectly into the purple, sewing machine trolley bag you can see behind it. Which is excellent for storage. I, admittedly, don't have much to store (yet) but what I do have fits perfectly into the 2 side pockets and large front pocket attached to the outside of the bag, and the 2 detachable pockets inside the bag as well as the small mesh zipped pocket in the lid. So, lots of storage!
The first thing I did was to read through the manual and see how to set it up.
I have used my mums sewing machine since I was 14 and doing GCSE Textiles, but this was a rather different set-up and I didn't want to break it, so I was good and read through the manual while learning how to thread it properly.
The one feature that I love so far is not having to pick up the stitch before you start, and there's an automatic needle threading function which I haven't needed to use yet (hand threading it is just ingrined in me after so many years of not having that function, I didn't even realise it could do that to begin with, I just threaded the needle) but I'm sure will come in handy some day.
Once I had it set up and ready to go, I sat down and started playing with each of the different stitches. It gave me a feel for how each one looked on the fabric, what the tension was like in the thread and how much pressure to put on the foot pedal for what speed.
The result is my Example Stitches Piece:
As you can see, there are some really pretty stitches available and I can't wait to use them on a design.
The pulling effect you can see is because I was playing around with the tension on different stitches to find the best setting, and I will definitely be doing that more, testing every setting so that I understand how to set the machine for best effect. I don't want to be practising on actual designs.
As a first piece, though, I am happy with the range of stitches available and the feel it when sewing, as well as the ease which it is threaded.
Frankie


Comments
Post a Comment